Wednesday, August 31, 2016

My Top 5 Portfolio - August Results

My portfolio of five precious metals stocks was slaughtered in August:


Although the August result was slightly better than that delivered by GDX (-16.4% against -16.6%) the loss was substantial (much higher than that incured in May 2016).

Well, I am not impressed - at last there was (or still is) a healthy correction.

A question to my readers: Are you still long precious metals stocks?

Another chart. This time it shows the results delivered by my portfolio from its inception in December 2015. To compare, I plotted the results delivered by GDX and the broad stock market, represented by S&P 500:



How to read this chart? Taking my portfolio as an example - if anybody invested $10.0 thousand on December 16, 2015 in my portfolio, this person would own the portfolio worth $27.2 thousand now (an increase of 171.6%). And so on.

Note that in the same period the broad stock market delivered a very small return of 4.7%. 
I would say - this year precious metals stocks have been the winners.

Finally, a look at the August performance of each stock included in my portfolio:






As the chart shows, there was no  exception. All picks delivered negative returns. The worst performer was Richmont Mines. I do not know the exact reasons of this awful performance but in 2Q 2016 the company delivered quite poor results  (readers of this blog were warned at the right time). However, in the long-term I still perceive this company as one of the best miners.

2 comments:

  1. To answer your question, I am long the PM space (gold and silver, with emphasis on silver) and buying more. Today buying 5000 shares of SVE.V @ C$00.88 a share. New company, with Keith Neumeyer of First Majestic a major shareholder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, still long but planning to lighten up after the next rally.

    ReplyDelete